Conflict resolution training is needed to address the increasing trend of public anger in society. Growing global citizen outrage is causing government gridlock, lawsuits, stopped projects, an us vs. them attitude, destroyed credibility, and loss of time and money. Emotion, Outrage and Public Participation (EOP2)
is a conflict resolution training workshop that builds on IAP2’s global best practices in public involvement and the work of Dr. Peter Sandman, a foremost researcher and expert in public outrage and risk communication. This course will help you move people from rage to reason and engage stakeholders in building consensus for better decisions.
This conflict resolution training workshop is for:
- Technical experts (including, but not limited to environmental engineers, scientists, and technical project managers) who want to prepare for project success.
- Communications professionals.
- Anyone responsible for communicating with the public or specific communities about projects that impact them.
- Managers who recognize the importance of developing their teams’ communications skills in advance of a crisis.
This conflict resolution training workshop will allow you to:
- Identify and assess the root causes of public frustration, anger, and outrage.
- Understand 12 factors and reasons for people’s negative emotions and be better able to predict and prevent public anger.
- Comprehend different strategies for the 4 kinds of risk communication.
- Learn the 6 main ways to prevent or reduce public wrath, to make room for reason, and to allow effective public engagement to take place.
You’ll also learn:
- Strategies for managing public opposition.
- How to use outrage management in public participation plans.
- Specific tools & techniques for working with the angriest people.
- Stakeholder analysis and motivations.
- How to remove internal barriers to outrage management.
- How to ask questions with value and empathy.
- Who should do what in the process.
- How your attitude impacts public and stakeholder anger.
This practical, hands-on conflict resolution workshop is a fresh, two-day mix of lecture, video, small and large group discussion, and authentic, real-world exercises that give you the tools and ability to manage the tough public issues that you face and help you move your projects forward.
Minimum Class Size: 15
Maximum Class Size: 25 unless noted otherwise by specific location
The Participation Company offers a discount to active members of IAP2, ICMA and NCDD. Make sure to check out our Early Bird Registration deadlines to take advantage of the discount.
EOP2 (2-Days) Member Discount = $40 valid through the Early Bird Deadline date.
For member discounts to apply, you must note IAP2, ICMA or NCDD and Your Member ID# in the COMMENTS box on the registration form, then choose the appropriate price level at checkout. Member discounts expire on the Early Bird deadline.
View Course Locations and Dates
What to Expect: After you have registered, you will receive details specific to each training location via email four (4) weeks prior to the training dates. If you need assistance, please contact us: 720-237-9175 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For complete details please view our Policies.